Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Birthday Prayer For Debut

A beginning ...

OK, now I have something too. Let's see if I can handle it. If not - I suspect - I beg your pardon here before.

What's going on in the head when you read when you write?
Since I have now started in my presumption, itself to be active as a writer, but makes you look now and then a few thoughts. Nothing Earth-shattering, I promise, that would be somewhat risky. But how one is affected by what you read yourself? Since I usually read English books, but I realize in part, as do the relevant terms creep into my own creations. What would be acceptable, I would write in English, which I do not. And so I sit at my keyboard now and then, have a wonderful, poignant expression in the head ... relaxed as possible and then try to translate into my native language. What - I fear - not always succeed. So I lose said formulation as well as a wonderful little confidence in my skills, my writing in my Mother tongue to express.

But how does this happen? Sure, I fluently speak English and my skill goes so far in these moments that I think also English, which I do not fall into the trap of many native speakers of groping, trying frantically, the familiar sentence structure in the other language to push. But why the language mix in my native language? What I want to say my aging box thinking that?

Maybe I should consider this aspect in more detail. But now I call my script again. I should make a better episode, my characters before I sue for neglect. Would an ugly development, I think.

Edit:
As my lovely wife complained about this being in plain german, I will try my hand in keeping this bilingual ;)

OK, now I also have this thing. Let's see if I can handle this. If not - as I think I won't - please accept my sincere apology up front.

So, what is going on in one's head if one is reading or writing?
Since I now in my presumptuousness have stepped on the path of becoming a writer, I keep thinking about things that were never of any concern to me before. Nothing too serious, I promise, that would be just too daring. But seriously, just how much are we influenced by what we read? As I am reading english books most of the time, I keep finding snippets of those creeping into my own creations. Sounds not too bad, does it? Trouble is, I am not writing in english, so afore-mentioned snippets are not in the right language for me to use. And so I keep sitting in front of my keyboard, having wonderful, pointed phrasings in my head... which I then try to translate as good as possible into german. Needless to say, that is not always possible. So I loose said wonderful phrasing... and a tiny bit of trust in my ability to write in my native language.

So, how is this possible? My english is fluent (if a wee bit rusty at the moment) and I also think in english while using that language. So I won't get trapped like many foreign speakers, who are in vain trying to press those poor, innocent sentences into the structures of another languages. Oh, the horror! But why keeps my brain mixing another language into my native language? What is my good old think-box trying to say to me?

Maybe I should keep thinking about this a little bit more. But right now, my script is calling for me. I should better follow this call, else those figments of my imagination will sue me for negligence. And what THAT do to my thought processes, I shudder to think about ;)

(If my rambling should prove to be illegible, please forgive me, as I said, my english is a tad rusty at the moment)

0 comments:

Post a Comment